Our firm understands that there are a number of questions that can arise for those who are in the United States with a green card. One of the most common is whether or not you can leave the country. Read on to learn more and speak with an experienced green card immigration lawyer in NYC. Our legal team is here to help.

Who can leave the United States with a green card?

You will need certain documents in order to travel outside of the United States with a green card. The two types of travel documents that are required are a refugee travel document and a re-entry permit. An individual is eligible to apply for these documents if you are living in the country for over one year. A refugee travel document can be assigned to an individual that was given refugee or asylum status or obtained a Green Card because they were a former refugee or asylee.

With a re-entry permit, a permanent or conditional permanent resident can apply for access to the country once they return from another country without the requirement for a returning resident visa. But, it is important to keep in mind that there are certain requirements when it comes to acquiring this permit. To be able to do so, you must:

  • Be a lawful permanent resident or conditional permanent resident
  • Be physically in the United States when they file the application
  • Plans to be outside of the country for one year or more

If you have questions or concerns about this permit or leaving the United States in general, reach out to our firm today. Our skillful NYC family immigration attorney is on your side.

How can I apply for these documents?

To be able to apply for these documents, the permanent resident is instructed to fill out and file detailed applications. This process will likely look like the following:

  • Complete the Form I-131, the Application for Travel Document
  • Submit the filing fee, amounts range depending on the age of the applicant
  • Submit evidence and documentation for the Form I-131
  • Sign and file the form at the correct filing location according to the instructions on the form

It is in your best interest to reach out to our firm today to retain the services of an experienced immigration attorney. Our firm recognizes that this can be a difficult process. Contact us today to discuss any further questions or concerns you may have.

Contact Our New York City Immigration Lawyers

Our law firm can explain all the opportunities associated with fiancé visas and help you through the entire procedure, as well as discuss whether this is a good option. For an initial consultation with a skilled immigration lawyer, contact the Law Office of Cheryl R. David in New York.