Before applying for a green card, it is important to understand what the process looks like. Read on for a brief overview of green cards and how to obtain one.

Why do I need a green card?

A green card provides immigrants with a number of positive opportunities. For example, your employment possibilities may increase, you will be permitted to apply for a driver’s license, and you may apply for a Social Security Card. Additionally, if you would like to travel out of the country for less than a year, a green card will provide you with admittance back into the United States. These are just a few reasons to obtain a green card.

What is the application process like?

In order to apply for these documents, the permanent resident is required to fill out and file specific applications. The process for doing so includes the following:

  • Complete the Form I-131, the Application for Travel Document
  • Submit the filing fee, amounts range depending on the age of the applicant
  • Submit evidence and documentation for the Form I-131
  • Sign and file the form at the correct filing location according to the instructions on the form

What happens if my Green Card renewal application gets denied?

Unfortunately, if your application gets denied, you are not permitted to appeal the judgment. However, you can likely file a motion to review with the office that determined you are unfit for renewal. In order to do this successfully, you will need a dedicated New York immigration attorney on your side. With the help of an attorney, you can more easily obtain, collect, and present all the proof required to prove that the decision to deny your application was based on an incorrect application of the law or you can confirm that the office made an incorrect decision on the basis of evidence in the file at the time the decision was reached.

If you have any questions or concerns about obtaining a green card, reach out to our firm today. We are here to advocate for you every step of the way.

Contact Our New York City Immigration Lawyers

Our law firm can explain all the opportunities associated with fiancé visas and help you through the entire procedure, as well as discuss whether this is a good option. For an initial consultation with a skilled immigration lawyer, contact the Law Office of Cheryl R. David in New York.