A Green Card can be very useful and can open up many different employment opportunities, give you the right to acquire a driver’s license, and allow you to apply for a Social Security card. Also, a Green Card provides admission back into the United States if you leave the country to travel, permitted that you are gone for less than one year. It is important to note, however, that Green Cards must be renewed every 10 years, and in some cases, individuals may not be approved for renewal. If you have questions regarding the Green Card renewal process, it is in your best interest to reach out to one of our dedicated New York immigration attorneys to learn about your options.

How can I renew my Green Card in New York?

The first step in the Green Card renewal process is to fill out a Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card online or by a paper application. The paper application must be submitted through the mail once completed. If you have possession of a previous version of the alien registration card, you must replace it with a current Green Card as soon as possible.

Can I renew my Green Card outside of the United States?

If your Green Card is set to expire within 6 months, but you will return within one year of your departure from the United States, you will have to file for the renewal card upon your return. If you have not applied for the renewal card before you left the United States, then you must contact a United States Consulate, USCIS office, or a United States port of entry before you can file a Form I-90 for renewal.

What should I do if my Green Card application is denied?

If your Green Card renewal application was denied, unfortunately, you will be unable to appeal the decision. However, you may have the ability to file a motion to reopen or a motion to reconsider with the office that determined you were ineligible for renewal.

If your renewal was denied, you must retain the services of an experienced attorney to help you with this matter. Your attorney will be able to help you obtain, collect, and present all the evidence needed to prove that the decision to deny your application was based either on an incorrect application of the law. To file a motion, you must reach out to an experienced immigration attorney for assistance.

Contact Our New York City Immigration Lawyers

Our law firm can explain all the opportunities associated with fiancé visas and help you through the entire procedure, as well as discuss whether this is a good option. For an initial consultation with a skilled immigration lawyer, contact the Law Office of Cheryl R. David in New York.