There are a number of different reasons to enter the United States. Each reason may require a different visa. Read on for a general overview of the travel documents you may need in order to enter the U.S.

What are Short-Stay Travel Visas?

Short-stay visas are for those who do not plan on being in the country for an extended period of time. Some examples of short-stay visas are as follows:

  • Working holiday visa: For those who are traveling between nations offering a working holiday program. This usually allows young people to engage in temporary work while traveling.
  • Transit visa: For those passing through the country to a destination outside of the country. Transit visas are usually limited to anywhere from a few hours to 10 days.
  • Cultural exchange visa: These are usually issued to athletes and performing artists participating in a cultural exchange program.
  • Athletic or artistic visa: These are issues to athletes and performing artists in competitions, concerts, shows, and other events. 
  • Private visa: For private visits by invitation of residents of the country.
  • Medical visa: For diagnostics or a course of treatment.
  • Business visa: These are for engaging in commerce in the country.
  • Tourist visa: For a limited period of leisure travel.
  • Short-stay or visitor visa: These are primarily for short visits to the host country.

What are Long-Stay Travel Visas?

Long-stay travel visas are primarily for longer, though still limited stays. Some examples of long-stay visas are as follows:

  • Asylum visas: Asylum visas are issued to those who have suffered or have a reasonable fear of persecution in their own country due to their political activities or opinion, association with a particular group, or who were exiled from their own country.
  • Refugee visas: These are issued to persons fleeing the dangers of persecution, a war, or a natural disaster.
  • Student visa: A student visa allows its holder to study at an institution of higher learning in the issuing country.
  • Journalist visa: For journalists traveling for their news organizations.
  • Temporary worker visa for approved employment: These are usually difficult to obtain, though they are also valid for longer periods of time than a business visa. One of the most common types is the H-1B visa. 

If you have any questions about which visa is right for you, reach out to our experienced firm today.

Contact Our New York City Immigration Lawyers

Our law firm can explain all the opportunities associated with fiancé visas and help you through the entire procedure, as well as discuss whether this is a good option. For an initial consultation with a skilled immigration lawyer, contact the Law Office of Cheryl R. David in New York.