Foreign individuals who are granted a Green Card are allowed to become a permanent resident in the United States. Physically, this is nothing more than a card that provides identification. This can be as easy to lose as any other small possession. However, permanent residents are required to keep their Green Card on them at all times. It is because of this that it is important to know if you lose it, it is possible to get a new one. Continue reading below to learn more. 

How Do I Replace a Green Card?

A lost Green Card can be replaced by filing a Form I-90 through an online application or through the mail. The document requires a significant amount of information. This includes the applicant’s name, their mailing address, date of birth, signature, and more. Those who do not have an online account can submit a paper application and the USCIS will create an account once they receive the application.

When the account is created, the USCIS will send them an Account Acceptance Notice. Within this includes instructions on how they can access the online account to pay their filing fee, check the status of their application, get notifications and updates regarding their case, and manage their information.

What Do I Need to Replace a Green Card?

It is possible for a Green Card to be lost, destroyed, or stolen. In order to receive a new one, the applicant is required to provide certain information regarding why they are no longer in possession of the card. This can be done with a copy of their Permanent Resident Card, documenting their name, date of birth, photograph, and signature. Sometimes, a card may have been issued but the individual did not receive it. When this happens, they can submit a government-issued form of identification that provides the same information. This must be done along with a copy of their latest Form I-797, Notice of Action, or a copy of the page in their passport with an I-551 stamp if they were admitted as an immigrant.

What Does a New Green Card Cost?

When replacing a Green Card, applicants must pay a filing fee of $455 and a possible biometric services fee of $85. If they never received the card they were issued or if the card has incorrect information due to a mistake, they do not have to pay the fee. If the Form I-90 was filed by mail, the applicant can pay the fee with a money order, cashier’s check, personal check, or with a credit card through a Form G-1450. Those who pay by check must make it out to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Contact our Firm

The Law Offices of Cheryl R. David practices immigration law throughout NYC. Immigration is a sensitive issue, which is why you should consider a compassionate, experienced, and aggressive immigration attorney who will guide you every step of the way. If you have questions about your particular matters regarding immigration please do not hesitate to contact our office to discuss your circumstances and options.