Individuals looking to travel to or from the United States who are not citizens will require one or more specific travel documents in order to be allowed to do so. These come in the form of visas and allow individuals to travel into the country without issue. Continue reading below to learn more and contact an experienced New York immigration attorney for assistance.

Do I Need a Visa to Stay for a Short Period of Time?

It is important to note that a visa is required even if you are only staying in the United States for a short period of time. Some common short-stay visas include:

  • Business visa: This allows foreign nationals to engage in commerce in the U.S.
  • Working holiday visa: This allows individuals to temporarily work in the U.S. while they travel.
  • Transit visa: This allows you to pass through the United States to reach a destination outside of the country. 
  • Private visa: This allows you to come to the U.S. if you were invited by a resident for a private visit. 
  • Medical visa: This allows you to come to the U.S. if you require medical treatment from a specific medical professional in the country.
  • Tourist visa: These visas are for a short period of leisure/tourist travel.
  • Athletic or artistic visa: These are for competing athletes, performing artists, and the like.
  • Cultural exchange visa: There are generally for athletes/artists participating in cultural exchange programs.

What are Long-Stay Visas?

When a person is planning to stay in the United States for a longer period of time, they may need one of the following visas:

  • Refugee visa: If you are a foreign national seeking to flee significant danger in your country, such as persecution, natural disaster, or otherwise.
  • Student visa: This allows foreign nationals to receive higher education in the U.S.
  • Asylum visa: These are granted to those who fear persecution in their country due to race, beliefs, associations with a particular group, etc.
  • Temporary worker visa for approved employment: The most common type of worker visa is the H-1B visa.
  • Journalist visa: For journalists who want to report for their news organizations in the U.S.

Contact our Firm

The Law Offices of Cheryl R. David practices immigration law throughout NYC. Immigration is a sensitive issue, which is why you should consider a compassionate, experienced, and aggressive immigration attorney who will guide you every step of the way. If you have questions about your particular matters regarding immigration please do not hesitate to contact our office to discuss your circumstances and options.