Immigrants who are looking to work in the United States are required to have the proper status to do so. This requires them to obtain an employment visa. The process of obtaining one is not always easy, which is why it is important to have the assistance of an experienced New York immigration attorney to navigate the process. Continue reading below to learn more.
Why is an Employment Visa Needed?
When a person receives an employment visa, it gives them legal authorization to live in the United States under the condition that they retain employment. This visa is allowed to be extended more than once. However, after the final extension, they most likely will be required to go back to their native country. If their job is terminated or ends, they will also be required to return to their native country. While this is true, they may seek permanent residency as a nonimmigrant worker through the PERM labor certification process.
What are Types of Employment Visas?
There are a variety of different employment visas that can apply to a person’s situation. This can include the following:
- H-1B Visas: For professional employees
- H-2 Visas: For nonimmigrant unskilled workers who are looking for temporary or seasonal work
- M Visas: For nonvocational student
- F Visas: For students looking to attend a high school, private elementary school, conservatory, seminary, university, and other academic institutions
- B-1 Visas: For temporary entry into the United States for conferences, seminars, meetings, and more
- TN Visas: For Mexican or Canadian professionals with sponsors in the U.S.
- P Visas: Temporary visas for noncitizen artists, athletes, and entertainers, as well as their spouses and children.
- R Visas: Temporary visas for religious workers
How do I Apply for an Employment Visa?
Immigrants must apply for their employment visa outside of the United States in their native country. It is important to note that this is not an easy process and can take quite some time, as only 140,000 employment-based visas are given out every year. It is because of this that it is crucial to retain an experienced immigration attorney, as we can assist and work towards expediting this process.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of Cheryl R. David practices immigration law throughout NYC. Immigration is a sensitive issue, which is why you should consider a compassionate, experienced, and aggressive immigration attorney who will guide you every step of the way. If you have questions about your particular matters regarding immigration please do not hesitate to contact our office to discuss your circumstances and options.