The United States Citizenship and Immigration Service announced that U.S. service members and veterans are now able to file the Form N-400, also known as the Application for Naturalization online. Through online filing, individuals are able to submit forms electronically, check the status of their case, and receive notices from USCIS. Regardless of the method, USCIS is committed to making sure the process is secure and efficient for all applicants.
Individuals who are currently serving or have served in the armed forces may be eligible to apply for naturalization under special provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). Under the provisions, the application fee is waived for military members and veterans as well as some other requirements. Before this, service members and veterans had to file a paper Form N-400. Certain provisions of the law extend some immigration benefits to the family members of service members.
Individuals can now file 10 USCIS forms online instead of through paper. This includes:
- Form AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address Card
- Form G-639, Freedom of Information/Privacy Act Request
- Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card
- Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative
- Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status (Form I-539 is the first online application filing that uses USCIS’ eProcessing strategy. Check your eligibility for online filing of this form at uscis.gov/i539online.)
- Form N-336, Request for a Hearing on a Decision in Naturalization Proceedings (Under Section 336 of the INA)
- Form N-400, Application for Naturalization
- Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document
- Form N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship
- Form N-600K, Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate Under Section 322
In order to file a form, a USCIS online account must be made. With this, they can submit and track the status of their forms, pay their fees, track their case, communicate with USCIS through a secure inbox, and respond to requests for evidence.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of Cheryl R. David practices immigration law throughout NYC. Immigration is a sensitive issue, which is why you should consider a compassionate, experienced, and aggressive immigration attorney who will guide you every step of the way. If you have questions about your particular matters regarding immigration please do not hesitate to contact our office to discuss your circumstances and options.