There are many reasons why people come to the United States. A common reason is employment. In order to work in the county, immigrants need certain documentation. This is possible through an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). These are not always easy to receive or keep, so it is important to retain the services of an experienced New York employment immigration attorney for assistance learning more.

How Do I Get an EAD?

Immigrants can be allowed certain immigration statuses in order to work in the United States. If a person wants to receive an EAD, they must meet certain requirements to be eligible. This means they must identify as one of the following:

  • Asylee/refugee 
  • Citizens of certain nationalities 
  • Certain foreign students
  • Employment-based nonimmigrants 
  • Family-based nonimmigrants
  • EAD applicants who have already applied for an adjustment of status

Individuals looking to receive an EAD must first file a Form I-765, the Application for Employment Authorization. 

Why Would I Apply for an EAD?

There are many reasons why a person may want to apply for an EAD, including the following:

  • Renewal: Just like other immigration documentation, an EAD can expire. In the event of this, it can be renewed by filing another I-765.
  • Replacement: If an EAD was lost, destroyed, or has incorrect information, it can be replaced.
  • Interim use: An EAD can be requested for a limited period of time while an applicant waits to hear back about an initial application.

What is the Process Like?

It is important to note that it can sometimes take a long time to receive work authorization. It is because of this that interim authorizations can be granted. This can only be issued to an applicant when USCIS has not answered a properly filed application within 90 days of receiving it. An interim authorization can be granted for up to 240 days. During this time, it can be beneficial to have the help of an experienced immigration attorney for assistance identifying and collecting useful evidence to support a petition or waiver request. 

Contact our Firm

The Law Offices of Cheryl R. David practices immigration law throughout NYC. Immigration is a sensitive issue, which is why you should consider a compassionate, experienced, and aggressive immigration attorney who will guide you every step of the way. If you have questions about your particular matters regarding immigration please do not hesitate to contact our office to discuss your circumstances and options.