When individuals from outside of the United States want an American education, they may be able to get one. They will have to go through the application process for a student visa. This can help them gain access to enter the country and attend school. This can give them more opportunities for a better life in the future. After having a student visa, they may be presented with job opportunities that can allow them to stay in the U.S. for employment. They can then take the necessary steps to adjust their visa and gain one that is employment-based.

Before filing for a student visa, individuals should make sure that the school they are planning to attend is approved by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program. This is a requirement for approval for a student visa. When someone decides on a school that is approved, they will have to choose whether an M or F visa is a better fit for their situation. These visas differ depending on the school that the individual planning to attend in the U.S. An M visa is for vocational schools or other recognized non-academic institutions. THe F visa is for other schools, including university or college, private elementary school, high school, seminary, conservatory, language training program and other recognized academic institutions.

Do I have to do an interview?

An interview may be required for the applicant to be approved for a student visa. If the individual is under 13 years old or over 80 years old, they may not have to attend an interview based on their age. Before going to an interview, it is important for individuals to gather the proper documents that may be examined in the interview. Documents that should be brought with you can include a passport that will be valid through the stay and six months past it, a non-immigrant visa application, a photo, a certificate of eligibility for an F-1 or M-1, the I-20 form and an application fee receipt. The applicant may be required to bring proof of their academic studies that can include standardized test scores, transcripts, diplomas, degrees and certificates.

Applicants should make sure to gather all the documents that may be required so that they can provide proof of their education through additional documents.

The Law Offices of Cheryl R. David practices immigration law throughout NYC. If you have questions about your particular matters regarding immigration please contact the office to discuss your circumstances and options.