map-443602_640If you are a college or university student from a country outside of the United States and would like to come to the United States to participate in an internship, you will be required to apply for a J-1 Visa. In order to be considered eligible for this type of visa, there are a number of factors that come into play. The person who has applied for an internship or has already accepted an internship must be from a foreign country. The student must be currently enrolled in a college or university in a country outside of the United States. Or, if that student has already completed their degree in a foreign country, they may be able to apply for this type of visa as long as they graduated less than a year before the internship will begin.

There are many benefits to interning in another country, whether it be in the United States or elsewhere. You will be given the opportunity to not only expand your horizons but also take the education you have worked so hard for and apply it to real-world experience that you will use when starting your career. Interns will only be allowed to work in skilled labor positions and they cannot do clerical work more than 20 percent of the time. Internships may be offered to foreign nationals in a wide range of categories. These can include anything from professions in media, agriculture, education, business management, engineering, and more.

If you are a foreign national who is considering an internship program in the United States, it may be beneficial for you to consult with an experienced immigration law attorney who can provide you with assistance.

The Law Office of Cheryl David practices immigration law throughout NYC. If you have questions as to whether consular processing is right for you, or you can maybe change your status in the United States instead of going home, please contact the office to discuss your situation and options.