The requirements to file a petition based on a sibling, brother or sister, are pretty simple. You need proof that the petitioning sibling is a United States citizen, and you need to show the relationship. In any I-130 petition, you’re going to have to show the familial relationship. In a sibling petition, you need to show that you’re brother and sister, so you’re going to have to show that you have the same parents. You would submit a copy of the petition, the US citizen’s birth certificate, as well as your own birth certificate, to show that you have the same parents. If the birth certificates are not in English, they need to be translated. Other than that, you don’t really need much evidence to show the relationship. Once that petition is approved, of course, you’ll need evidence to demonstrate eligibility for a green card.

Cheryl David is an experienced immigration attorney in New York City. If you have any questions regarding a petition for a sibling or general immigration procedures, please contact27 the law office for a free initial consultation.