A green card gives you the right to live and work in the United States permanently, as long as you don’t violate your status in any way; most notably would be a criminal conviction. Otherwise, you’re free to live here, potentially sponsor your spouse to come and live in the United States, and then five years after you get the green card, or three if you’re married to a United States citizen, you have the right to apply for US citizenship, or naturalization. If you have any question about what your rights and privileges are as a green card holder or how you can lose your green card, it’s very important to discuss that with an immigration lawyer. I’d be happy to discuss your situation with you.

Cheryl David is an experienced immigration attorney in the New York City area. Contact her for a free initial evaluation regarding any questions you may have about immigration procedures and policies.