I often have been asked, “my mom got married to a United States citizen, can he sponsor me for a green card as well.?” As long as the marriage occurred prior to your 18th birthday, then you would be considered to be a stepchild. If you are older than 18 years old, let’s say 21, then unfortunately your stepparent is not going to be eligible to apply for your green card. If your mother or father is in a relation with a United States citizen, and they’re contemplating marriage, and you’re about to turn 18, please ask them to get married sooner rather than later, and then you would be eligible to apply for a green card through your step-father, as well. If you have questions relating to this, please contact my office.

Cheryl David is an experienced immigration attorney in the New York City area. Contact her for a free initial evaluation regarding any questions you may have about immigration procedures and policies.