I’m often asked, “What should I do if my spouse entered the United States illegally and I’m a United States citizen and we have four children?” Unfortunately, if your spouse entered the United States illegally, there’s no way for them to adjust in this country. They would have to go through the mechanism of provisional waivers which means that they would apply for a waiver here in the United States before they left, hopefully have it approved, and then apply for their visa at the US Consulate abroad. Provisional waivers are very complicated. We have a section on the website regarding provisional waivers. I encourage you to please look at that. If you have questions about whether you feel you’re a good candidate for provisional waivers, please contact my office and I’d be happy to discuss your situation with you.

Click here to contact Cheryl David for a free initial consultation. Cheryl David is an experienced immigration lawyer practicing in NYC.