Temporary Visas Immigration Lawyer in New York City

New York City immigration lawyer Cheryl David’s skillful handling of Temporary Visas, such as B Visas and Visa Waiver Programs helps her clients feel relaxed and comfortable. A visa is a conditional authorization given by a country authority for a person who is not a citizen of that country to enter and remain for a specified duration. Each country attaches conditions to visas regarding duration of stay, territory covered, validity dates, and number of visits. Visas are associated with the request for permission to enter a country so a visa is subject to permission by an immigration official at the time of actual entry and can be revoked at any time.

There are various kinds of temporary visas. The most common types include:

  • Transit visa for passing through the country to a destination outside of the country. Transit visas are usually limited to short terms such as several hours to up to 10 days.
  • Short-stay or visitor visa for short visits to the host country.
  • Private visa for private visits by invitation of residents of the country.
  • Tourist visa for a limited period of leisure travel.
  • Medical visa for diagnostics or a course of treatment.
  • Business visa for engaging in commerce in the country.
  • Working holiday visa, for individuals traveling between nations offering a working holiday program which usually allows young people to engage in temporary work while traveling.
  • Athletic or artistic visa issued to athletes and performing artists performing at competitions, concerts, shows and other events.
  • Cultural exchange visa usually issued to athletes and performing artists participating in a cultural exchange program.
  • Refugee visa issued to persons fleeing the dangers of persecution, a war or a natural disaster.
  • Long-stay visa, valid for longer but still limited stays:
    • Student visa which allows its holder to study at an institution of higher learning in the issuing country.
    • Temporary worker visa for approved employment. These are generally more difficult to obtain but valid for longer periods of time than a business visa. One common such visa is the H-1B visa.
    • Journalist visa for journalists traveling for their news organizations.
    • Asylum visa issued to people who have suffered or reasonably fear persecution in their own country due to their political activities or opinion, association with a particular group; or who were exiled from their own country.

One common type of temporary visa in the New York area requiring travel documents is the HB-1 employment visa. The H-1B is a nonimmigrant temporary work visa that allows employers to temporarily employ foreign workers in specialty occupations. A “specialty occupation” requires theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge in a certain technical field. The H-1B visa requires the attainment of a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in work experience as a minimum. The job offered must require a bachelor’s degree to qualify.

Contact Our NYC Lawyers for Help With Temporary Visas

Whatever your current situation, we will answer any questions you may have and help you apply for a temporary visa. You will need evidentiary documentation for your application, and we will guide you through the preparation process. Contact us to discuss your temporary visa with an experienced immigration lawyer today.